Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Digital Lentan Sacrifice

I am giving up computer games for Lent this year. I spend way too much time on the computer – both for business and leisure – and the time I spend playing games could be far better used with my family or in prayer or even using my computer time to contribute more to the household income.

The Out of Ur blog at the Christianity Today website reports on the trend of giving up Facebook for Lent this year. I considered doing so after reading The Suburban Christian talk about it, but I have had too many opportunities on Facebook to encourage or pray for people I would not otherwise know to need encouragement or prayer. Yes, much of my Facebook time has the tendency to keep my mind on shallow thoughts and take me away from my children, but it also reminds me that there are real people and real needs beyond my own immediate family. Any sacrifice I make for Lent should, I believe, make me more aware of – not more oblivious to – other people in the world. Giving up Facebook would make me feel more isolated and self-focused.

Incidentally, I have always been a part of churches that do not observe Lent, so giving up anything at all is an unusual experience for me. I am eager to see how reallocating the time I would normally spend playing digital games will change my perspective.

2 comments:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Sara

    http://smallbusinessgrant.info

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope to get writing again soon so you'll have more to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! Agree or disagree, but please comment respectfully.