Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Understanding God

I have heard some agnostics say that they don’t believe in God or Christianity because they simply can’t believe in something they don’t understand. This argument makes little sense to me because there are so many things in life that even the smartest people in the world can’t completely understand and yet believe in:

How can air support the weight of a jumbo jet and water support the weight of a cruise ship?

How did ancient people build the pyramids, Stonehenge, and the Great Wall of China without modern tools?

What causes a person to be sexually attracted to specific people but not to others who are attractive to someone else?

How can a baby develop from only sperm and an egg?

How can an imaginary number be necessary for many real calculations?

Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Put another way, even intelligent children are too young to understand much of what their parents do. Yet children are much more like grown-ups than humans of any age are like God. God is, well, God. He is not human; He is immeasurably more. How could we possibly understand Him? We should be amazed that we can understand even as much as we do.

"’For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the LORD. ‘As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts’” (Isaiah 55:8-9, NIV).


3 comments:

  1. great post....I don't know if you meant to be funny but your statement about imaginary numbers being necessary for real calculations just really struck me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm serious on that one (only the one about the driveway/parkway was meant to be humorous). I'm not a mathematician, so I won't even begin to try to explain it, but here's a site that does:

    http://www.math.toronto.edu/mathnet/answers/relevance.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! Agree or disagree, but please comment respectfully.