Friday, July 3, 2009

Dork or Snob?

My mother and I had a rather adolescent disagreement yesterday. She said it would be better to be called a “snob” than a “dork”; I disagreed.

The American Heritage Dictionary defines “snob” as “1One who tends to patronize, rebuff, or ignore people regarded as social inferiors and imitate, admire, or seek association with people regarded as social superiors. 2One who affects an offensive air of self-satisfied superiority in matters of taste or intellect.” The attitude of a snob is contrary to the Christian command to love others and consider them more important than ourselves (Philippians 2:3).

On the other hand, a dork, defined as “A stupid, inept, or foolish person,” might actually be considered a compliment. (I’ll ignore the other definition, of which I was unaware until I looked it up.) I Corinthians 1:18-31 suggests that being seen as foolish puts you in good company. (“For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. . . .”)

I’d rather be a dork than a snob. What about you?

1 comment:

  1. I agree... better to side with the meek and inherit the earth, than with the snobs that are the opposite of meek. Though I'm not sure that the bible condones outright foolishness either.
    I think that the dictionary's definition is too harsh for 'dork'. I see it more as somebody who comes across as being socially inept, but could be intelligent (especially booksmart) in other ways. Interestingly sometimes someone who is socially inept could be mistakened for a snob because they are too afraid to interact with others. They may misjudge the proper time to engage others with conversation and be more reserved.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! Agree or disagree, but please comment respectfully.